Saturday, October 20, 2007

Cheesy Chain Emails

Know how you get those cheesy chain emails about how friendship is like a warm loaf of bread, or some other ridiculousness like that? I always smile and appreciate the sentiment, however hallmark-personal, relayed from a friend who cares enough to send me a pre-formulated expression of her emotion. Because i know in her own unreflective way, she is saying that she values my friendship. Sure, I would prefer a long, newsy email about her life and emotional state, complete with minutia of her day, but sometimes you have to take what you can get. Life is busy and technology does not always bring us closer when time or distance separates what used to be intimate.

But then something happens and a friend--a real, true, honest friend--is there for you in a way that manifests all the cliches and trite comparisons riddling your inbox. She knows you better than you know yourself, saves you from yourself, sets you straight, stops the world to listen, gets you drunk on cheap wine, shares a tub of cookie dough, fights for you, laughs with you, supports you, loves you. And the cliches don't seem so silly anymore, or at least less trite, since you can't find better words on your own. (Although maybe this says more about my creative abilities, an over-saturation of sentimentalization or the commodification of emotion.)

Maybe I need to make up my own cliche, my own words to describe how desperately vital I find my friends. Maybe language is inadequate. Maybe all the good lines are taken.

Maybe the point is I am one lucky bitch to have such kick-ass friends.

No comments: